Sewerage – Phase B This page as PDF

The works of Phase B concerned the extension and the completion of the (EELTh) installations, so as to enable the biological treatment of all municipal sewage of the major region of Thessaloniki, together with compatible industrial wastewaters. The installations were designed with the capacity to process 296.000 cubic meters of sewage per day, for the population of 1,100,00 e.p., meeting the current needs of the urban group of Thessaloniki, but also anticipating the needs for the next 20 years.

This modern work (EELTh)  is utilized in the biggest degree, with the completion of the twin Duct for the Disposal of Processed Sewage (ADEL) into Thermaikos Gulf, in a distance of 2,6 km from coast, at the depth of 23 meters. In addition, with the project for the construction of installations for Reception and Pretreatment of septage waste, the test operation of which was finished in September 2003, the Installations of Treatment of Sewage of Thessaloniki can process up to 1.200 cubic meters of septage that uncontrollably polluted the groundwater aquifers and the surface recipients.

The works began in 1995. Their construction proceeded with efforts for achievement of high quality standards and particular attention was given for the incorporation of up-to-date technologies, in order to ensure a reliable, permanent, qualitative and economic operation.

The testing operation of the new installation of treatment of sewage began in 2000, after the completion of basic work of the biological treatment and the disposal duct. In the mid of 2000 all the networks of municipal sewage connected with the Central Sewerage Duct (KAA), started progressively to enter the installation. Since the beginning of 2001, more or less of 160.000 cubic meters of municipal sewage are being led for treatment daily, while the influent rarely reached 200.000 m3/d EYATh S.A. took over the management and responsibility for the operation, since 2002, and  the installation progressively receives all of the municipal sewage, while the connection of new regions of Thessaloniki is under progress, as their sewerage networks are progressively completed.

The works of phase B were included in the Second Community Support Framework, budgeting 69.860.000 €. Their financing became from the Cohesion Fund (85%), and national resources (remainder 15%).